Zxëph - Holy / Disc Priest

Zxeph

Zxëph - Holy / Disc Priest

Post by Zxeph » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:11 am

1. Name, age, country and Battle tag.
Stephen. Scotland, United Kingdom. Zxeph#2838

2. Link to armory (please log out in gear you will raid in).
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/g ... h/advanced
The Horn of Valor sometimes gets switched for Perfectly Preserved Cake (ilvl 860) during bosses where people can be stacked e.g. Guarm, Trilliax, Krossus.

3. Artifact level?
As of writing it is level 40, but I can get it to 54 quickly if I "no-life" dungeons and raids. It is so low because I rerolled from paladin to priest because another holy paladin started raiding with us and I thought two holy paladins was not as optimal as it could be.

4. What are our raiding times, and do they suit you?
19:15 - 23:00 on Monday, Wednesday and Sunday. Your raiding hours are no issue and I will attend them all unless something physically stops me.

5. What lootsystem do we use? (This is meant to see that you have read our rules)
You use lootcouncil, probably with the RCLootCouncil addon, this is used in my currently guild and it seems to work well.

6. What guilds you were in and reasons for leaving? (short description)
On private servers I was in a social guild with some people that I was pretty good friends with, but we didn't raid, I did that with only pugs.
On retail I've really only been with a few guilds that actually raided. One was in MoP during SoO in which I tanked as a brewmaster monk and cleared the raid on normal, the guild later disbanded because we couldn't get another tank to progress HC, we even moved to a higher population realm but still couln't find anyone that was ready for HC progress. One was in the start of WoD where I cleared Highmaul normal and started HC, but that guild also disbanded then I stopped playing for most of the expansion. Near the end of WoD I returned and joined the guild I am currently in, but at the time there was only 4 or 5 of us, so we mostly just pugged normal and HC HFC and did mythic dungeons together, but in when Legion launched we started raiding HC EN then quickly through mythic. When when NH came out we quickly pushed through HC on the first day and got realm first kills on some of the bosses, but soon after people started leaving because of burn out and progress stopped and now the guild is disbanding due to lack of players for mythic progress.

7. Logs of your past raids
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/c ... metric=hps
My HC nighthold logs are very bad because I was doing while undeargeared so a lot mechanics would just one shot me, but the normal ones where I wasn't always getting one shot there is data that can be analysed.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/PwFhTDgfdMzA7Vc4
This was from an HC EN that I did on 23/02/17, all bosses have recorded data.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/63mcJxtjrVHBf92L
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/9vAMXd7qhNzb6paj
These are from Odyn and Guarm HC, sadly there is no Helya because there was no groups withing my guild that wanted to do ToV and I can't ever get a pug that can kill Helya.

8. Screenshot of your UI (in a raiding situation).
http://imgur.com/a/79S2r

9. What are the sites you use to keep up to date on your specc/class?
Howtopriest, Automaticjak on youtube and twitch, Midweek mending on reddit, wowhead class forums.

10. Info about alts (if any)
I have a holy paladin with better gear, but only also only 40 artifact traits and equipped ilvl of 899, a druid and a DH that I play around with the tanks specs, but only 860-something equipped, all on GrimBatol. I also have a BrM monk that has very bad gear on the Ragnaros realm.

11. How did you hear about our guild, what made you apply?
My current guild master (Seurk) told that this guild was probably looking for healers and that my current guild is disbanding due to players leaving so I decided that this could be a good new guild to hopefully progress mythic NH.

12. Describe the hardest PVE boss you killed (ever) - how long did your guild work on it, what was hard, what was good about the fight etc..
Before I played on retail WoW I played on private servers, the boss that felt like the hardest was Professor Putricide in ICC, I attempted this boss for weeks and weeks but pugs could rarely kill it, when I did eventually get a pug that could kill it we killed Sindragosa then people started to leave before we could kill the Lich King. In this encounter I was a protection paladin, so I rotated defensive CDs to mitigate damage, then when the orange ooze spawned I need to HoP who ever it targeted first.

The hardest boss that I've killed in retail WoW is Mythic Cenarius with my current guild, as the holy paladin I had to keep myself and the dragon tank alive, this was hard because of the constant damage that ramps up because we can't really drop stacks. It forced me to think more about managing my mana while putting enough heals on the both of us to prevent death. I think we killed it in about 50 wipes but I'm not sure and the DBM counter is not completely accurate because the boss can be reset and it doesn't count that as a wipe.

13. Anything else that could convince us that you are a good addition to our raids.
I am a dedicated player that loves to improve and do challenging content. I always have consumable on hand, and have exceptional raid attendance. When a new boss is released I look up how to do it on wowhead, then on icy veins, then I look for kill videos on youtube. I am very prepared and ready for mythic progress.

14. Your plans for the next 6 months - will you be AFK on vacation or take a break from raiding?
In June (I think) I'm going on holiday for one to two weeks, but other than that I will show up to every raid if I am accepted.

15. Do you know anyone in the guild?
I don't think so, but some people from my current guild are applying to this one.

Immanis
Resident Healing Theorycrafter and Advisor

Re: Zxëph - Holy / Disc Priest

Post by Immanis » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:52 pm

Hej there Stephen, Thanks for your application!

I'll go over some points, starting at your gear, more precisely your choice of Horn of Valour over Cake for most encounters. I was ready to call feelycraft without giving any proof, but I know better, so let's do some napkin math:

For simplicity, let's assume you always use HoV when it increases your hps the most, i.e. during Divine Hymn ( [5 * (144% of Spell power)] ).
The increase of HoV @ 865ilvl and your spellpower 38180 therefore would be , i.e. 1.061 or a 6.1% increase.
Looking at your logs, a typical hymn (including Holy Mending, Renew the Faith, Mastery and a partial uptime of Divinity) heals for about 14M (this is a generous guesstimate!).
So, the gain from your HoV would be , i.e. ~855'107.

LFR Cake @ 855 absorbs 476'403 per target (without versatility scaling), 952'806 if it only hits 2 targets
In short: If your cake hits at least 2 people (which is always possible), it outperforms HoV by a significant amount.
This is not even factoring in that the raw Versatility on it isn't as strong as the Mastery on cake.

While we are at gear:
I'm a bit surprised that you are still enchanting crit with your current stat distribution, care to enlighten me? ;D
What is your general goal with stat distribution?

Looking at logs:
I didn't look too much at overall hps, as short kill times tend to screw a bit with that and rather focused on key metrics:
  • You usually have decent to good Divinity uptime! Sometimes you drop below 30% when you sandbag your Holy Words too much, but pretty decent overall
  • Your playstyle is very Flash Heal heavy, is that only due to the short fights where you just try to burn mana or are you stuck in a pre 7.1.5 playstyle?
  • On some fights, your Hymns are suboptimal (low Holy Mending, no Divinity during DH, no fishing for Blessing of Tu'ure procs), what is the reason for that? In a broader sense, how are you planning your Hymns?
  • You tend to miss out on a couple PoM casts each fight, planning GCDs can help with that.
Overall you seem to have good potential, the flaws you have definitely can be worked out (take this as a compliment, I'm very hard on healers).

Now let's talk about the elephant in the room:
Nighthold is very weird for healers, in the sense of certain fights require only 2-3 healers and others 4-5.
We already have a holy priest in our raids as well, and stacking them on fights where there's only 3 healers doesn't make any sense, in particular in a Pala/Rsham meta.
How do you feel about sitting out / being on reserve? (at least until your gear and artifact are up to mythic progression levels and/or you outperform our current Holy Priest)

Cheers :-)

EDIT:
What are your thoughts on Drape of Shame?

Zxeph

Post by Zxeph » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:19 pm

Wow, I didn't know the cake was that much stronger than horn, I will use it as default now.

I was gemming and enchanting that much crit because I heard 30% was a good target to get nice up-time on Blessing of T'uure, I had that, and with mastery food I was at 40% mastery. If I am wrong please tell me so I can fix it.

I'm unsure what the playstyle was before 7.1.5, I rerollled after that patch was released, but I have been spamming flash heal so much in raids only because I have the reduced mana cost trinket. I noticed the missing PoM casts when I was looking at my own logs, it's something that I've been trying to improve. Most of my logs on my priest are from pugs with little coordination so I mostly hymn when people are low to try and reduce overhealing. I'll work on improving hymn usage today.

As long as I can raid HC at least, I can probably deal with being benched until I am better.

Immanis

Post by Immanis » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:42 pm

30% crit was a good target pre 7.1.5, when Trail of Light was bugged (counted as a separate Flash Heal cast, doubling the chance to proc Blessing of T'uure).
As the general playstyle shied away from Trail of Light, Flash Heal isn't worth casting as much anymore (and crit lost a lot of value), favouring Heal. This also lets you have more mana for PoH and your Holy Words.

With your current stats, Haste is actually the most valuable secondary, by a significant margin.
Your personal stat weights (based on the stats you currently have) are as following:
Int 1.00
Crit 0.66
Haste 1.03
Mastery 0.79
Vers 0.74

I updated the following spreadsheet with your current stats, feel free to browse around a bit:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =699899991

In the Drape of Shame tab, you'll also see that an 855 Drape of Shame outperforms your currently equipped 890 cloak.

Your endgoal, would be ~38% Mastery (35-40% is ok), similar amounts of crit and haste and 3-5% versatility.

I think you're just a bit behind on theorycrafting, but as I said earlier, this isn't something that can't be remedied. Your overall playstyle is already at a decent level, often casting PoM on CD, having Divnity up at crucial points, not casting renew too often, having decent to good CPM in general.

I'll leave the discussion open for the officer's team, to see how they feel about another Holy Priest in our roster :-)

Zxeph

Post by Zxeph » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:54 pm

Can I please have permission for the spreadsheet so that I can make a copy of it for future use.

Immanis

Post by Immanis » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:56 pm

Oh yeah, sorry :D forgot it was set to private:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

This should work

Zxeph

Post by Zxeph » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:56 pm

Manson

Post by Manson » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:59 pm

Zxëph

After discussion your application with the other officers, and looking at our situation. We are confident that unfortunately, we can't bring you in as a dedicated main-team healer.

However, we all agreed upon, that should you want to come here, hang out, join some Heroics, maybe a couple of Mythic fights when we might need you. You are more then welcome to join!

Best regards / Manson - Verserad

Zxeph

Post by Zxeph » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:33 pm

I would love to, after I've transferred realm, who do I whisper for an invite?

Immanis

Post by Immanis » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:23 pm